4 Jan 2011

Oh brother I love my new sewing machine!


I got a sewing machine for christmas-yay!
I've wanted one for ages, but was scared to buy one myself in case I never got chance to use it and it would be a waste of money. But my lovely hubby got me one, and I've even been brave enough to get it out and have a go.

OK, so maybe I just hemmed a pair of annoying curtains for the boy's room, but I gotta start somewhere, right?

The problem now, is that it's at the back of my desk: just sitting there, looking at me, saying use me you lazy mare...

Well, a very inquisitive toddler and all the school runs etc means it isn't coming out in the daylight hours, so that just leaves after bedtime, when hubby gets in from work. But I still don't seem to have found the time to have a proper play with it.

And if I'm honest with myself (and you) I think I can admit I'm a bit scared of it! I'm scared I will never sew a straight line, or figure out how to thread it, or that everything will unravel when I don't remember the reinforcing stitch at the ends...oh the list of panics goes on!

With a needle and thread I can just sit quietly and get on with it, and if it goes a bit wrong (it never does) I can quietly unpick it while nobody's looking. But with this shiny beautiful new gadget, I feel under pressure to whizz up amazing things in 5 minutes. Where does this stress come from? Who is watching me? I feel like I need to justify the money he spent on it, by producing everything from curtains and cushion covers to clothes in 4 different sizes for the kids! Even though he doesn't care, and has told me to just enjoy it and use it whenever I feel like it...

And I know there is only me thinking like this - but that doesn't make it any better. Hobbies are supposed to be relaxing. And enjoyable. But I've single handedly sucked all the excitement out of this ace present- what a nutjob. So now I've got that off my chest, I'm off to get a grip!

No comments:

Post a Comment